Exchange Students and the J-1 Visa

As non-degree students at UMBC, you will enter the United States on a J-1 exchange visitor visa. This visa allows you to study at UMBC for the academic year or semester you will enroll here. It also permits you to work up to 20 hours during the term in on-campus employment only. There are specific insurance requirements attached to the J-1 exchange visitor program; failure to purchase a J-1 compliant insurance policy can lead to your termination from the J-1 exchange program.

The UMBC International Education Services Office will generate a DS-2019 on your behalf. The DS-2019 is the form you will need to take to the nearest U.S. Consulate in order to obtain a J-1 visa stamp in your passport. Application procedures for the J-1 visa vary from country to country. Please check the U.S. Consulate in your home country for further information on how to apply for a J-1 visa.

You may arrive up to 30 days prior to the date marked on your DS-2019, and you may stay up to 30 days after the last date on your DS-2019.