Work Options and Rules

Exchange Visitors with a J-1 status can work at UMBC, in the position listed on their appointment letter. Exchange Visitors must check with our office before engaging in any other activity.

UMBC Scholar Portal

Click to access the UMBC Scholar Portal

If you have a myUMBC account, click “UMBC Account Login” to log in with your UMBC credentials. If you use an email address and password to access your account, enter those instead.


Providing off-campus lectures or consultations

Off-campus lectures/consultations at other institutions are allowed as long as they do not interfere or delay the J-1 program goals.

ISSS must approve this additional work permission, and add it to your J-1 immigration record.  We will also provide a letter of work permission to share with the off-campus employer.

You can request this permission through the UMBC Scholar Portal.  Be prepared to provide the following information:

  • Name of host institution
  • Name of main contact at host institution
  • Address at host institution
  • Date(s) of talk/lecture/consultation
  • Name (if any) of presentation

Social Security Numbers

To be paid in the US, you will need a Social Security Number (SSN).   Please see our guidelines on how to apply for an SSN. 

Know Your Rights

The US State Department has made available to all international workers the Wilberforce Pamphlet, which explains the rights and protections that apply to all workers in the US, including temporary or visiting workers.  The pamphlet is available in English here, and in many other languages here.  The State Department has also produced an informational video about this material, which you are encouraged to watch.