The program dates specified in the “Program of Study” section of your Form I-20 reflect the typical duration for completing your degree program. However, certain circumstances may require additional time for students to complete their studies and graduate. If you require more time, you must apply for an extension of your I-20 program to ensure its validity.
Please note that your Form I-20 can only be extended up until the current end date. After your current I-20 end date passes, we can no longer extend the date into the future. It is important to plan ahead for this deadline. Although International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) sends reminders before the I-20 end date, it is your responsibility to ensure timely application for an extension.
- Login to your ISSS Portal.
- Click on “Search Forms” in the top right corner of the page.
- Choose the relevant request, which is the Program Extension (F-1).
- Complete all sections of the application as per the directions provided.
- Ensure that you obtain electronic support from your academic advisor as indicated in the “Recommendations” section.
- After uploading all necessary requirements, click “submit.”
- ISSS advisors will review your application and contact you after receiving your advisor’s recommendation.
It is important to note that extensions may be requested for any duration that your academic advisor deems necessary to complete your program. In addition, the required financial documentation must demonstrate the necessary support from your financial sponsor for the additional duration of the program.
Graduate Assistants may submit a short letter of continued support from their GA supervisor or a new contract as acceptable documentation.