Off-Campus Work: CPT

CPT, or Curricular Practical Training, is the work authorization available to F-1 international students to work off-campus in paid positions.  Please note, to be eligible for CPT, a job has to be providing you with experience that is directly related to your academic program.  There is no work authorization for general work done off campus, except in very extreme circumstances (see Economic Hardship).

CPT requires an application completed by the student, which can be submitted to ISSS via the ISSS Portal.  We will add CPT work authorization to your immigration record, and prepare a new I-20 with CPT authorization on it. CPT is approved for a specific job that a student has already received an offer for, and is only approved for one semester or session at a time.

The “Optional Worksheet for CPT” is available here.  This form is NOT the CPT application and it should NOT be submitted to ISSS; it is available for you to use with your academic advisor, if you or your advisor wants to use it, to help you determine if you can manage the balance of your academic obligations and your intended CPT work.

Please read through the information below to the bottom of the page before applying, to have the best information about CPT.


CPT Eligibility

Current students in active F-1 status are eligible to apply for CPT after at least one academic year of full-time study in a University in the US.  An academic year is two semesters, not including summer or winter sessions. UMBC ISSS recognizes this one year as applicable even if it was done in a different immigration status, such as H-4, or if it was done at a different school or at a different degree level in F-1 status.  Previous enrollment cannot be considered for this requirement if the student has left the US and returned with a different SEVIS ID to continue their studies. 

Graduate programs that REQUIRE a student to participate in a work experience in their first year can provide proof of this requirement from the published program requirements.  This way, the student can take advantage of CPT before the one year has passed as required by their program..

CPT is only required for paid positions off-campus, but can also be used for unpaid positions.

Remember that there are many scams with fraudulent job offers that target international students!  


PRAC Enrollment quick link:  Intern Success Practicum “PRAC” enrollment is available online through the Career Center. Complete directions to enroll are available here.

PLEASE plan for 5 business days to have PRAC approved, especially at peak processing times!


Scam Reminder:

Remember that there are many scams with fraudulent job offers that target international students!  Keep yourself safe by learning the signs of fraudulent job offers and scams!  Here are a few of the most common signs of a scam:

  • Someone offers you a job without you applying for it first.
  • After sending your resume they offer you the job without interviewing you first.
  • The job entails distributing money – whereby they send you a fake check, you deposit the check, keep a set amount, then wire funds to certain “charities.”
  • The FROM address and REPLY-TO address are from different domains. Such as the FROM address being “” and REPLY-TO being “”. Or the from/reply-to address does not match the domain of the company the emailer claims to represent.

Read more about job offer scams here: Scam Jobs

More information on scams in general can be found here: Scams and Safety


Process to Apply: 

  1. Login to your ISSS Portal 
  2. Click on “Search Forms” in the top right corner of the page
  3. Choose the relevant request – Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
  4. Read the directions and complete all sections of the application
  5. Please note that CPT often requires enrollment in the Career Center’s “Internship Success Practicum (PRAC).”  Please upload the email confirmation of your enrollment to meet this requirement.
    NOTE: If you are using PRAC, do NOT submit your application until your PRAC is approved and you are able to upload your PRAC approval email.
  6. The application requires the support of your academic advisor.  Please follow the directions under the “Recommendations” section to invite your advisor to provide their support electronically.  For Graduate Students, you will need to do the process a second time to get your Graduate Program Director (GPD)’s approval as well.
  7. Only click submit after you have uploaded all requirements.
    NOTE: Once you have invited your academic advisor (all students) and GPD (graduate students only), you can submit the application without waiting for the recommendations to be completed.
  8. ISSS advisors will review your application and contact you within 2-3 business days after your advisor (and GPD, if applicable) recommendation is received.


CPT Application Requirements

Immigration regulations describe CPT as work that is “established as part of the curriculum” of study.  The CPT application is designed to show that the work being done by the student meets this requirement.  Three pieces of information are required to provide this proof:

1. Proof of employment opportunity: A copy of your job offer letter from the position you intend to work in on CPT.

2. Proof that the work is related to your academic program:  The CPT application asks the student to describe how the job they are planning to work in is related to their academic program.  The student’s academic advisor (and GPD – Graduate Program Director – for Graduate students) must confirm that they agree with this statement by signing the application form.

3. Proof that the work will be recorded on your academic record: To make sure we connect the work experience to your UMBC record, CPT requires enrollment in academic credit or Practicum (PRAC) that appears on your UMBC transcript.

  • Academic credit requires enrollment in, and payment for, regular academic credit, such as an internship credit or independent study approved by your academic advisor.
  • “PRAC” is the Intern Success Practicum managed by the Career Center.  PRAC does NOT have any academic credits associated with it, so does not have a cost and does not add credits to your transcript. However, it does appear on your transcript with a pass/fail grade and has minimal requirements to participate.  Please read more about PRAC here.  Please remember to allow 5 business days for your PRAC enrollment to be approved!
ISSS cannot approve CPT for dates in the past. You will only be authorized for CPT once all of your CPT request paperwork has been uploaded, authorized by ISSS, and added to your I-20.

Students applying for a continuation of a current CPT need to submit the CPT application again for each new semester or session.  If the three requirements clearly cover both a semester and session (for example, fall and winter), ISSS can approve as much as a semester AND a session with one application.  Your academic advisor or career counselor, for PRAC enrollment, can also email their support to ISSS if you are applying for CPT to continue with a position that was previously approved, to expedite the process.

*It is absolutely imperative that CPT is approved before you being your work experience, or before you continue an existing job whose CPT authorization is expiring!  You are not legally allowed to work in the US without this authorization current on your I-20.  While employers might not catch this and might hire you or allow you to continue working after the CPT expires, these kinds of discrepancies could cause you very significant problems in later immigration applications, such as H-1b or Permanent Resident applications.  Please take responsibility for your immigration status and make sure you are aware of the end of your CPT authorization, and plan accordingly!


CPT Application Deadlines

Deadlines for the CPT application depend on how the experience will appear on your transcript.

For Academic credit: the deadline to enroll in academic credit for CPT is the same as the regular deadline to enroll in any courses each semester.  The deadlines for each semester and session can be found here.

For Intern Success Practicum (PRAC): the deadline varies by semester, and should be verified with the Career Center, but typically is near the following dates:

For Fall semester: approximately October 1
For Winter session: approximately January 2
For Spring semester: approximately March 1
For Summer Session I or II: approximately July 1


CPT Part-time/Full-time Options 

CPT can be approved as part-time (20 hours per week or less) or full-time (more than 20 hours per week).

Part-time CPT  is not limited, and can be used as many semesters or sessions as you like as long as it’s approved for each new semester or session. Part-time CPT can be used in any semester or session once you are eligible.

Full-time CPT is limited to a maximum of 12 months total throughout your degree program.  There are no consequences for full-time CPT use up to 12 months, but after 12 months of full-time CPT use, the student loses the option to apply for OPT.  Full-time CPT can be used beyond 12 months, but it’s important to understand the consequences to a student’s OPT. Full-time CPT can only be used only in the following instances:

1. During a summer or winter session when course enrollment is not required

2. For students with 4 credits or less remaining in their last semester before graduation

3. For Graduate students who have completed their coursework and are only enrolled in research credits (for example, 898 or 899)


CPT and Academic Enrollment Requirements

CPT does not change the requirement for F-1 enrollment – students are still required to be enrolled full-time in the fall and spring semesters.  Please plan accordingly to manage your course load and work experience!  If academic credit is used for CPT, these credits do count towards your total credit count.  PRAC does NOT count towards your enrollment credit count!


CPT for on-campus work beyond 20 hours

CPT can be used to work in a position on-campus that goes beyond the already-allowed 20 hours per week during a semester, assuming the position meets CPT requirements and is related to your degree of study.  Graduate students with Graduate Assistantships (GA, TA, RA) will need to request the permission of the Graduate School, using the form found here.  When completing the form, be sure to note that you are working with ISSS on CPT approval.  Once the form is approved, please submit a copy with your other CPT application documents.


CPT and Taxes

Paid work in the US is almost always taxed.  Your employer’s Human Resources (HR) staff will work with you to review your immigration and personal identifying documents to ensure that you are allowed to work in the US (including your I-20 with the CPT authorization on it), and will help you complete tax forms for the money you will earn working for them.

Typically, your employer will ask you to complete an I-9 form, which verifies your ability to work in the US, and a W-4 form, that indicates how you would like them to take taxes from your paycheck.  You can read more about these documents here.

Please note, international students are usually exempt from paying certain kinds of taxes, namely Social Security and Medicare taxes.  You can reference this law to employers here.  However, if an individual has been in the US more than 5 years, they usually become a “resident for tax purposes,” and their tax rates change to include these additional tax categories.