To stay in valid J-1 status in the United States, you must follow these important requirements. Please contact ISSS if you have any questions.
Click to access the UMBC Scholar Portal
If you have a myUMBC account, click “UMBC Account Login” to log in with your UMBC credentials. If you use an email address and password to access your account, enter those instead.
Enter the country in the correct J-1 status
- Present your DS-2019 and visa stamp to immigration official to ensure you are entered in J-1 status correctly.
- Even if you have a valid B-1 visa or are eligible for the Visa Waiver Program, it is important that you always enter in J-1 status to maintain this status. If you do not enter in the correct status, you will need to leave the U.S. and reenter.
Check-In with ISSS within 30 Days of the DS-2019 Start Date
- Please schedule an appointment to check-in with ISSS upon your arrival to UMBC – contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Upload your J-1 visa, I-94 record, proof of health insurance, and DS-2019 form to the UMBC Scholar Portal.
Maintain valid immigration documents
- Your passport should be valid for at least 6 months into the future at all times.
- Your DS-2019 dates should be valid. Apply for a DS-2019 extension before the expiration date through the UMBC Scholar Portal.
- Your visa stamp must be valid for entry into the U.S. It is not a problem if the visa stamp expires while in the U.S.
- Access your electronic I-94 record online each time you enter the U.S. and save it for your records.
Maintain accurate records
If your residential address changes, email email@example.com within 10 days.
Follow J-1 Work Rules Carefully
Understand the J-1 Work Rules, and do not work if it is not allowed by these rules.