On-Campus Work

F-1 International students are able to work up to 20 hours per week on campus during the fall and spring semesters, and up to 40 hours per week on campus during the summer and winter vacations.  No special authorization or application is required from ISSS – you are simply allowed to do this as a benefit of your immigration status.

“On campus” jobs can be defined as any job that is physically on campus and paid by UMBC.  Common examples are work done in any campus office, the Library or RAC (gym), food services, the Book Store, or Graduate Assistantship positions including TA’s, RA’s and GA’s.  A few exceptions exist – please contact the ISSS office if you are not sure if a job you are considering would classify as “on campus.”

When you receive your first job offer, you will need to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) if you don’t already have one. An SSN is required to be paid in the US.  To learn more about what an SSN is and how to apply, please review the information here.

The Career Center gives advice on how to look for an on-campus job here, but please note these are competitive and many students don’t find an on-campus job until their second semester, if they are looking.  Happy job hunting!


 Grad school student workers