The #YouAreWelcomeHere Scholarship was developed as a result of U.S. higher education institutions’ commitment to providing a welcoming, safe and diverse environment to international students. UMBC is proud to support this initiative by offering two annual, renewable scholarships for up to four years of study that are worth 50% tuition at the time of initial matriculation. The scholarships are open to first-year international students admitted for undergraduate degree-seeking study at UMBC. Successful applicants will be dedicated to furthering the #YouAreWelcomeHere message by bridging intercultural divides. Applicants will submit a 500-1000 word written essay or a 2-5 minute video about their leadership skills and ideas for utilizing those skills to advance intercultural learning and understanding at UMBC.
- Be a first-year international (F-1 Visa) applicant to UMBC.
- Demonstrate interest and personal initiative in activities involving intercultural learning and exchange.
- Complete a scholarship application and a 500-1000 word essay or a two-to-five minute video describing their aspirations to conduct projects, research, employment, or other experiences that will advance intercultural learning.
How to Apply
- Apply and receive admission to UMBC by April 3rd, 2021.
- Submit the one-page #YouAreWelcomeHere application to email@example.com by April 3rd, 2021.
- If awarded a scholarship, claim it by submitting a tuition deposit to UMBC by May 1, 2021.
- Scholarship can be renewed for up to 4 years (Fall and Spring semesters only).
- Participate in at least 10 hours of cultural sharing and engagement with the local community.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0.
- Enroll and successfully complete a minimum of 12 credits (exception may be granted) for Fall and Spring semesters.
- Apply for and receive admission to UMBC: April 3, 2021
- Submit Scholarship Application: April 3, 2021
- Make Enrollment Deposit: May 1, 2021
- Scholarship applicants will be notified of scholarship decisions by April 21, 2021