The #YouAreWelcomeHere Scholarship was developed as a result of U.S. higher education institutions’ commitment to providing a welcoming, safe and diverse environment to international students. UMBC is proud to support this initiative by offering two annual, renewable scholarships to undergraduate applicants for up to four years of study that are worth 50% tuition at the time of initial matriculation. The scholarships are open to first-year international students admitted for undergraduate degree-seeking study at UMBC – transfer students are not eligible for this scholarship. Successful applicants will be dedicated to furthering the #YouAreWelcomeHere message by bridging intercultural divides. UMBC’s #YAWH Scholarship selection process consists of two rounds:
Round 1: Applicants will submit a 500-1000 word written essay about their leadership skills and ideas for utilizing those skills to advance intercultural learning and understanding at UMBC.
Round 2: Finalists will be selected for interviews with the scholarship committee based on the strength of the essay submitted.
- Be a first-year, undergraduate international (F-1 Visa) applicant to UMBC. Transfer students are not eligible.
- Demonstrate interest and personal initiative in activities involving intercultural learning and exchange.
- Complete a scholarship application and a 500-1000 word essay describing their aspirations to conduct projects, research, employment, or other experiences that will advance intercultural learning.
- Please note you can only accept one UMBC scholarship at a time. If you have already been awarded and have accepted a different UMBC scholarship, you would not be able to accept the #YAWH Scholarship in addition to that.
How to Apply
- Apply and receive admission to UMBC by March 19, 2023.
- Round 1: Complete the #YouAreWelcomeHere application and submit to OISS by March 26, 2023.
- Round 2: Successful applicants will be selected for an interview with UMBC’s #YAWH Scholarship Committee and contact by April 17, 2023.
- If awarded a scholarship, claim it by submitting a tuition deposit to UMBC by May 1, 2023.
- Scholarship can be renewed for up to 4 years (Fall and Spring semesters only).
- Participate in at least 10 hours of cultural sharing and engagement with the local community.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0.
- Enroll and successfully complete a minimum of 12 credits (exception may be granted) for Fall and Spring semesters.
- Apply for and receive admission to UMBC: March 19, 2023
- Submit Scholarship Application: March 26, 2023
- Make Enrollment Deposit: May 1st, 2023
- Scholarship applicants will be notified of scholarship decisions by April 24, 2023.