Request a Letter

International students often need an official letter for various reasons, most commonly:

  • Stating good standing in F-1 status at UMBC or current enrollment
  • Inviting family or friends to visit the US
  • Letter of ineligibility for an SSN if trying to apply for a driver’s license without an SSN

ISSS can provide official letters for international students that are related to your enrollment, and your immigration status. Please note we cannot provide letters that confirm information we don’t have access to, such as billing information. Graduation records and transcripts must be requested from the Registrar’s Office.


General letter requests: 

Process to Apply: 

  1. Login to your ISSS Portal 
  2. Click on “Search Forms” in the top right corner of the page
  3. Choose the relevant request – Letter Request
  4. Read the directions and complete all sections of the application
  5. Only click submit after you have uploaded all requirements.
  6. ISSS advisors will review your application and contact you within 1 week.

Letter types available here include confirming good standing or enrollment, inviting relatives to visit, and verifying your ineligibility for a Social Security Number for the purposes of getting a Driver’s License.


Invitation letters for family and friends visiting the US – additional information

For citizens of most countries, visitors to the US will need to apply for a B-2 visitor visa.   Please see our website for inviting family and friends to visit for more information on the B-2 visitor visa and which countries are exempt from this visa requirement.

*Please note you will need to provide a letter of invitation following the guidelines detailed there, but you can also request a supplemental letter from ISSS indicating that you are a current student in good F-1 immigration standing, and, if you are inviting family or friends for graduation, that you are expected to graduate, using the process outlined above.