Understanding Your Documents

While you are a student in the US there are a few key documents that you should understand, and will also need to be prepared to provide to other organizations like future employers, the MVA (Motor Vehicle Associate, for a driver’s license), and SSA (Social Security Administration, for your Social Security Number which you need to be paid to work in the US).

The most common documents you will need to use are your:

  • Passport
  • Visa
  • I-20
  • I-94

If you are employed in the US, you will also complete an I-9 document for each employer you work for.

Read more about the details of your individual documents in this section, so you can make sure you understand the information each one contains.