In-State Tuition and Residency

UMBC is a public University, which means it receives part of its funding from the Maryland state government.  To extend the benefits of its system of higher education while encouraging economical use of the State’s resources, UMBC offers reduced tuition prices at the “in-state rate” to students that meet certain requirements.  To qualify for in-state tuition, a student must demonstrate that, for at least twelve (12) consecutive months immediately

  1. Make Maryland his or her permanent home; and
  2. Abandon his or her former home state or country; and
  3. Reside in Maryland indefinitely; and
  4. Reside in Maryland primarily for a purpose other than that of attending an educational institution in Maryland.

Satisfaction of certain requirements demonstrates continuous intent and qualifies a student for in-state tuition. These requirements are listed in the policy link below, but include presence in the state of Maryland for at least one year, and immigration status that allows the student to remain in the US indefinitely, along with other requirements.

International students in F-1 status are almost never eligible for in-state tuition rates, because the F-1 immigration status does not allow a student to remain in the US indefinitely.  F-1 status requires a student to declare his or her intent to return to their home country after graduation and after completing any OPT work authorization the student might choose to use after graduation. This declared intent of the F-1 violates the intent required for in-state classification.  A student can choose to change their immigration status if they have the opportunity to do so, but there is no way to know that in advance, so as long as a student is in F-1 status they will almost never qualify for in-state tuition.

For more information on in-state tuition, also called “residency” (not related to Permanent Residency), please read more on the Registrar’s website here.

If you are changing your immigration status to a new category, you might be eligible for in-state tuition.  Please email a copy of your documents proving your new status to ISSS at  so we can update your immigration status in your UMBC record, and give you directions to apply to be considered for in-state tuition if your new status is eligible.  Common status changes that make a student eligible to be considered for in-state tuition include changes to H-1b, H-4, Asylee or Permanent Resident status.