Transfer your I-20 to UMBC

For students that are already in the US in F-1 status, if you plan to begin your studies at UMBC you can simply transfer your current I-20 to UMBC.  Your SEVIS ID will stay the same, but your I-20 will change to reflect the new school, new academic program, and new funding information.  

After you are admitted to UMBC, your most recent school will need to release your SEVIS record (your I-20 record) to UMBC.

Requesting a UMBC I-20

Once admitted, you will receive an email from our office directing you to complete a New Student Request application. To do so please:

  1. Log in to the ISSS Portal Homepage using your myUMBC username and password*
  2. Click the “Search Forms” button
  3. On the forms page, select “New F-1  Student Request”
  4. Select your term and click “Create” Your term is listed in your UMBC admission letter
    • Fall = August Start Date
    • Spring = January Start Date
    • Summer = June or July Start Date
  5. Review the “Instructions” section for required documents to submit
  6. Upload required documents in the “Attached Documents” section
  7. Complete “Dependent Request” and Student: Immigration Information” in the “Questionnaires” section
  8. Transfer students ONLY: If you are already in the U.S. on an F-1 Visa, complete the “Recommendations” section – this prompts your old school to transfer your I-20 to UMBC
  9. Click the “Submit” button at the top of the page
  10. Once you have submitted an application please allow 5-7 business days for review. At that time, you will receive an email from us to share your new I-20 with you. 

For step by step screenshots of the process, click here: I-20 Request Tutorial


*To create your myUMBC account:

– Visit UMBC WebAdmin

– Click “Create My Account” (you will need your date of birth and UMBC Campus ID: EF81414)


You must complete this process before our office can issue a new I-20 form. You may receive an I-20 that indicates “transfer pending” and later another I-20 that says “continued attendance” after the semester begins. Please be sure to get your “continued attendance” I-20 within 30 days after the semester begins, though we should be contacting you about this.


Deadlines to Transfer

  • Your I-20 MUST be transferred to UMBC before your current I-20 end date, plus 60 days.  After these 60 days, your I-20 will automatically expire and cannot be transferred.
  • Your I-20 should be transferred to UMBC before the start of the semester in which you will begin your studies
  • Please note that you must begin your studies at UMBC in the next available semester, which can be up to 5 months after your previous I-20 end date.


Travel Abroad

If you will travel abroad before joining UMBC, we encourage you to get your new UMBC I-20 before travelling to avoid complications upon re-entry.   You can return to the US with a “transfer pending” I-20.


Renewing your visa

If you will need to renew your visa while abroad, you will need your UMBC “transfer pending” I-20, which will prove that you have been admitted to a new program and shows the date range in which you are expected to graduate.  Please contact our office for additional information about renewing your visa at


Note concerning the MVA

Transferring your I-20 sometimes causes issues with renewing your driver’s license at the MVA.  If you need to renew your driver’s license with a “transfer pending” I-20, we recommend you submit a SAVE Verification Request in advance of your visit to the MVA.  Please note in the Comments section that you are currently transferring to a new school, and please wait to receive an approval on your verification request before your visit to the MVA.


International Student Orientation

All F-1 students new to UMBC are expected to attend the International Rules and Policy Meeting (IRPM) in addition to Undergraduate or Graduate Orientation.  More information is available here.